Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chemo #3

Three down, nine to go.  25% done as Auntie Gracie says. 

Today Lauren went with me to treatment.   It's actually really boring, and we kind of just sit there on our ipads and fart around for 4.5 hours.  There's a saline drip, two bags of anti-nausea meds, and then the nurse has to come and manually push three different chemo drugs through my IV with goes into my chest.  One of them is bright red.  Then I have the fourth chemo drug through a drip like the saline.  I did do a little online shopping.  I have been feeling SO good for the past week and a half, like a normal person!  I'm still feeling pretty good so it'll probably hit me tomorrow, but we'll see.  Hopefully not. 

I always get my  blood drawn first, and then we met with my doctor before treatment.  My blood counts are still looking good - all in the normal range still.  He says around day 7 after chemo we have to be on the lookout for fevers or any signs of sickness since my immune system will be super low, but so far everything is going really well.  I can barely feel the tumor that I found in my armpit, and my chest has gone down completely.  After only three treatments.  After the fourth I will have another PET scan to see what kind of progress we've made - probably the first week of November.

My hair did not all fall out!  It's really thin on the top, and I have to wear a hat in public or I look really weird, but I can just wear a hat and it looks pretty darn cute.  I'm really hoping I can pull this off with only a hat.  I have an appointment on Thursday to pick up my wig.  We ordered one that should be a really close match to my natural color, just in case we need it.  Hopefully I won't because it looks sorta funny, but I guess it'd be better than going to Target all baldy looking. 

The weather here has been unbelievable.  High seventies and eighties - in Michigan - in October!  This is completely unheard of  but we'll take it!  We had some friends out to the lake to play and have pizza last Saturday.  It was so beautiful outside! Here's Elise playing with two little fishy nets:

Her face is still not completely healed from her crash into the driveway last Monday.  She hit that hard and had scabs from between her eyes all the way down her nose.  Poor thing. 

She still thinks running into the lake is fun.  That water is pretty cold too!  She loves it.  I just let her get wet.  We usually have to take her in when her lips turn blue.

Elise loves to put all the bags from the bag toss game down the hole. 

She had to show Jacob how it was done.  Isn't he SO cute??  He's eight months older than Elise.  This was actually the first time they played together instead of just looking and doing their own thing.  They were cracking each other up at one point - it was so cute!

3 comments:

  1. SO glad you still feel ok! When you feel ok, we all feel ok. :0) Can't wait to see you all soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling okay, Rach. Miss you! Love hearing about Elise running into the cold water. She is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She loves the lake and playing outsidE! So cute!!!

    You have DeGroot blood, you handle this chemo well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...