Tuesday, September 13, 2011

happy birthday, have some chemo

Today was my first Chemo treatment.  

I should probably update you on the egg retrieval first though.  It went really well.  It was semi-painful, even under the loopy drugs, but they said it was very successful.  Out of the 13 eggs they retrieved, we've got 11 future Gootes frozen in the lab at The Fertility Center.  They said that is really good.  Hopefully we won't have to use all of them, but let's just say we may have a reality show in our future (kidding...).   I'm still feeling pretty crampy/crappy from that, we're really hoping the swelling goes down in the next few days so I can feel like a normal human being again.  Although they say in about 5 days the chemo will hit me so that will probably be perfect timing, and my 27th birthday.  Ha.  Speaking of Chemo....

My dad, Nick, and I got there about 12:30 today, got some bloodwork, and waited in the outside waiting room for about 45 minutes.  They called me back to my little area (a big comfy-ish chair, a tv, a few extra chairs) where we waited a little while longer.  It kind of hit me sitting back there, I just could not hold back the tears.  I cried for a little while until my nurse came over to talk to me.  Holding back sobs is never cute, but she seemed really understanding.  My doctor stopped by to check in, and we were finally rolling by 2pm.  Four long hours later we were able to leave.  I had to have lots of saline and anti-nausea medication before they could even start the chemo.  We were the last ones there tonight.  I was definitely the youngest one there, it's so crazy seeing bald people, people with scarves, people who bring coolers of food because it obviously wasn't their first time (rookie mistake -- next time bring snacks).  

So I feel pretty good.  I haven't had any "chemo" side effects yet.  I kind of feel like I've been punched in the stomach, with the remaining effects of the hormones and the anti-nausea drugs.  It will be so nice to feel normal again.  

Elise had a great day though.  Auntie Lauren and Grandma kept her busy all day.  She had so much fun.  If she can't be with Mommy & Daddy she definitely has the next best thing.  I don't know what I'd do without you guys, Dad, Mom, Lauren & Aubrey.  I love you.  And Nick - he sat with me the whole long boring 4 hours at chemo today.  Love him.   Apparently chemo makes me all lovey-dovey.  Sorry.   So that's the scoop for now.  No pictures tonight - I'm too exhausted. 

11 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you are feeling good enough to post tonight. We thought about you and Nick all afternoon! Glad to hear that Elise had a great day. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't hold back the tears either. this post really got me. sending you lots of love today and until you beat this thing!!

    on a side note, can you take your computer to your treatments? you probably won't feel like blogging but shopping maybe?? i dunno.

    much love, liz roberts

    (it's telling me i'm not allowed to comment from my profile so i'm anonymous tonight.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are brave Rachel. I cannot imagine what you are really feeling as you go through all of this. But what I do know is that you could not have a better family and support system surrounding you at this very scary time! I wish that I could come with you sometime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are my hero, rach. I can't read this without tears either. I bet you telling your story will help lots of others going through this! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rach, I was thinking about you and praying for you today! Thanks for letting us hear your story. Love you, friend! xo, Jen L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can really say is that I love you Rach. We can get through this together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are incredibly strong, Rachel. This is rough stuff you have to go through. Wish we could give you big hugs in person right now! We think about you and pray for you all the time. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rach, you are already a hero. Your sense of humor still shines through your blog posts. Praying for you and counting down the days until you're done with this! Much love from Tennessee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was feeling sad all day yesterday, just thinking about what you were going through. Glad it's over and you can cross that first one off the chart (do you have a chart??). Proud of you, Rachel. Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love you so much Rach. Everyone is right -- this post made me so teary, too. I'm so glad you have such a great family helping you out. Thinking of you all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...