Friday, March 30, 2012

let's get radiated.

Radiation is weird.  I don't see anything or feel anything but I kind of expected to grow a third arm or something.  Or at least I hoped my gum might mutate into a junior mint.  No such luck. 

It's not really that kind of radiation.  

When I get there I have to swipe my ID card and go back to a changing room, where I have to strip down my top half and put on a lovely hospital top.  Then I go to this fancy waiting room with a giant fireplace with all the other people in only a hospital top - most of whom are all significantly older than me and sorta look at me funny.  Then the radiation therapists come get me and take me back to this big room where I have to lay on this skinny table in the mold they made so I am in the exact same position every time.  

I am completely topless except for this paper (the kind they use at the dentist) over my chest.  Except on this one they tear a huge hole in the middle so they can align me according to the little tattoo dot they put on my chest.  The dot is the size of the tip of a pen and the hole is as big as a cantaloupe.  Seriously.  I told them they didn't have to make the hole so big but I think that's the standard size.  A light breeze would send that thing flying and I'd be alone on a table topless in a huge room.  And they'd have it on camera.  My only consolation is the thought that I'm pretty sure they have seen women older, fatter, and with weirder boobs than little old me.

This room is insane.  It's pretty huge, with this big machine right in the middle.  When I'm on this thing it feels like I'm in this science fiction movie where they're going to replace my brain with something from the Matrix.  It rotates completely around you and takes xrays (to make sure you're in the right position) and then the radiation.  It's crazy.  After about 15 minutes I'm done and I go home.  So - three more weeks of treatment. 

It's not a post without a picture:  We got out some markers and a coloring book for Miss Elise this week.  She loved it.  I'm so thankful for ColorWonder -- she colored more on the table than the coloring book. 

5 comments:

  1. I know it's not funny for you, Rachel--but you are a funny girl, and a great writer. I love reading your blogs--and I can just picture you lying on that table with a breeze coming over you. Sweet picture of Elise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what AW said. Love ya Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AW always makes the best comments. At least it's only 15 minutes! And I'm pretty sure there are no breezes in the hospital! Love you sissy, can't wait for this to all be done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That paper gown seems super comfortable...at least it breathes?
    Jack has the same colorwonder books, but it drives him crazy that the colors don't show up right away, he always thinks that they're broken!
    The end is in sight!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...