Tuesday, November 8, 2011

chemo numero cinco {and pet scan results}

Today was my fifth chemo treatment.  We did the normal blood work, and met with my doctor.   While we were waiting for the doctor my mom wondered where the giant light boards are where they slid the x-rays to view them a la ER 1996 (Dr. Ross anyone??).   We broke it to her gently that they do that on computers now.  The doctor had the results of the PET scan I had last week Tuesday.  He called the results "excellent".  Yay!  And my blood counts were good so I don't need the white blood cell boosting shot that I had to have last time.   Bonus.  I'm so good at chemo.   :-) 

A few key phrases from the PET scan report:
  • "no hypermetabolic adenopathy in neck"
  • "near-complete resolution of extensive bulky hypermetabolic adenopathy previously involving the upper anterious mediastinum on the left and the left chest wall as seen on prior PET/CT scan"
  • "involvement of the left chest wall has markedly improved with only moderate residual metabolic activity"
  • "findings are compatible with marked favorable anatomic and physiologic response to chemotherapy"
 So, after spending some time with my friend Mr. Google, I figured out that:
  • there's no more cancer in the lymph nodes in my neck. 
  • the large tumor that was on/in my chest and sternum area is almost gone.  
  • there is a small amount of the tumor left in my chest but it is dying a slow painful death (I embellished that one a little).  
  • chemo is working! 
My treatment today was pretty uneventful.  They had to access my port twice because the first time something wasn't right and it was hurting me a little, when I usually don't feel anything at all once it's in.  I hate when they access the port.  It has hard silicone in it so they have to apply quite a bit of pressure to poke it through - no fun.  Nick calls it my porthole, and it makes me laugh every time.  Other than that we were out of there by 2pm.  I'm just feeling really tired but overall pretty good still.  

And, Auntie Lauren's here! YAY!!  She stayed with Elise today while my mom went with me.  Elise loves her.  It's adorable.  And Lauren loves her right back.

And here's Elise being cute.  She empties her laundry basket and uses it as a boat.  Or something like that.  She doesn't say any words yet really, she just babbles all the time like in the video.  I think she thinks she's saying words though. 

6 comments:

  1. You go girl! So happy for you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great report! You ARE good at chemo. Very cute video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are basically a chemo pro. What an awesome report!!! Could not be happier for you!!!!! Yay!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best news ever. Can't WAIT until this is all behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooohooooo!!!! Rachel, this is such awesome news!!!!! Pete and I are thrilled for you!!! This will all be done soon...and we will all do a happy dance when it's over!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...