Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Darn you, Sleep Sheep

Last night I was putting Elise to bed. We were up in her room and she was nursing. I kept hearing some stupid kids outside yelling "whoohoo! whoohoo!" I figured - they're stupid kids, they'll shut up soon. 20 minutes later they had still not stopped "whoohoo-ing". I'm getting mad. Elise is not sleepy and is distracted by the whoohoos, and I'm exhausted. I get so mad I get Elise, walk downstairs and [very angrily] tell Nick to "find whoever is making that noise and make them stop immediately". He walks outside, on the deck, around the house and then comes upstairs to tell me I'm nuts, but he can hear it too! Turns out when Nick was upstairs earlier he had kicked the Sleep Sheep into "whale mode". (yes, kicked. The Sleep Sheep is on the floor because Elise will only go to sleep in the vibrating bouncy seat.) The whoohoo-ing was the "soothing" sound of the orca whale. Uh-huh...whale sounds can apparently drive me to insanity.

Darn you, Sleep Sheep.
(I actually love this thing - just not in "whale mode")

I also love this Seahorse. It will calm the girl down when nothing else will. It lights up and plays these really soft lullabies that seriously put me to sleep. And it plays for five minutes so if I start it right after I transfer her to her bed (a.k.a. bouncy seat) she will usually be sound asleep by the time it's done playing. Miracle Seahorse I tell you.

Anyone have any tips for getting a baby to sleep in her actual crib? Because I have a really good one that's not getting any use.

Exhibit A: Baby sleeping peacefully in bouncy seat.

And....just a cute picture of my girl resting during tummy time.

3 comments:

  1. oh sleep sheep... whoops! That is a hilarious story!!!

    i have heard so many people whose babies LOVE that seahorse, how random.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the magical seahorse! LOVE it!

    Actually, we have two of them. A back-up is always preferred!

    Mia first started sleeping in her crib in her own room at about 10 weeks old. We used the Fischer Price Rainforest Waterfall soother. The lights and music are very relaxing, and the "sounds of nature" keep playing for 18 minutes! We no longer use the lights/animals part of ours, but still play the 18 minutes of crickets every night to help Mia go to sleep.

    http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2341&e=detail&pid=38143&pcat=rainforest

    We purchased this after several people told us that it was all they could do to get their kid to sleep. There are other varieties as well.

    http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2341&e=detail&pcat=buocean&pid=41856

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a Fisher Price aquarium that my kids loved (sounds similar to what Holly suggested). I understand some of them have remotes so you don't have to walk into the room to turn it on. If you want to have her sleep in the crib, you may have to just be tough on her. I know that's not fun, but that may be what it takes!
    No matter what you do, she will sleep in there eventually!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...