Thursday, October 18, 2012

craftypants

Other titles included: 
Dear God, Thank you for Target.
A non-original pillow tutorial.
Thrifty is my middle name. 

That about sums this up.  But I took pictures so you have to stick around. 

We just got a brand new Target.  It is heavenly.  I pretty much hear the hallelujah chorus when I walk in beckoning me to the dollar section.    And since I'm already in the Christmas spirit (per the hallelujah chorus) the brand new holiday stuff decorating the perfectly placed end-caps cannot escape my brand spanking new all-plastic red shopping cart that glides like a dream.  

So I grabbed the cutest little red pillow.  It was $14.99.  It took a nice little ride around the store with me and my shopping buddies -- my mom on her scooter and Elise in the cart.   We took up entire aisles.   And then -- wait for it -- I saw the SAME thing in placemat form.  In blue.  And everything I've ever seen on Pinterest came rushing back to me.  

And since I'm trying to impress Nick with my thrifty-ness - I put back my $14.99 pillow and picked up this placemat.  For $3.99.

Now this entire project took me 20 minutes.   I did it while my trusty assistant emptied my scrap fabric bin and dumped out all my buttons.  No pictures of that because Little Miss is way snotty these days and in Christmas pajamas that say "My Grandma is friends with Santa".  Guess who bought those.      

I just used my seam ripper to rip the seam about halfway down on the side.  I murdered another pillow that was gathering dust in my basement and stuffed the placemat.  Then I just used some blue thread to sew the hole with a zigzag stitch.  You could even hand-sew this if you don't have a sewing machine. 

Viola!

A brand new Christmas pillow for 3.99.  Go me.  

So -- do you care?  Is this interesting?  Okay if it's not I won't do it anymore.  I've been sorta boring lately so I'm trying to spice it up.   I have a few more Target copycat ideas for the holidays that I will definitely tell you about if you want.  Or if you don't want just go away and read real craft blogs.   

6 comments:

  1. Look at that! It is so cute. You make me proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! You're inspiring me to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! You are so crafty. Next can you make me some country painted stuff like your mom used to make at your age? I loved my kitty doorstopper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might need to go to Target today...so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Rachel, you make me laugh! I love the new Target too, and am super jealous of your craftypants-ness :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute rach! I had orgotten about that idea! Lad you did it, now I might have to try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...