Wednesday, September 5, 2012

the sewing room & childhood memories

It's been a few months since the sewing room has been finished - but I've just recently gotten some things on the wall.  And now I can't find the 'before' pictures - so just picture a room with absolutely nothing on the walls, mismatched furniture, and a neutral walls.  So here's the 'after'. 


Lauren and I did it in one weekend.  I love it! We painted the walls and some of the furniture.  I had a lot of miss-matched IKEA stuff so we just painted it orange.  The curtains are actually paint dropcloths from Lowes that we taped off and painted stripes on.  

 All the furniture we had - so this whole project only cost as much as two cans of paint, three dropcloths, and a curtain rod/clips.  Even the shelves, baskets, giant safety pin, lamps, and wall art I made from things I already had.  The TV we got as a wedding gift.  You know I can't sew without the Kardashians.  BTW - I think Kanye is a total a-hole.  Anyone else??

I also recovered my ironing board with some fabric leftover from some pillows my mom made.  I am thrifty.  Although Nick would probably suggest otherwise. 

Aaaannnnd I got a new sewing machine.  I've had the super basic model for the past 4 years, and it's been making some super weird clunking sounds and breaking needles and just ticking me off.  I brought it into get fixed and they said it would cost a HUNDRED dollars.  Insane -- that's how much it cost four years ago.  So Nick said since it's almost my birthday and because I'm so pretty *sarcasm* that I could upgrade.  

Hello Beautiful.  

And then I made this bubble skirt during naptime.  

I'm also going to start tackling those sewing projects on my Pinterest board.  I'll keep you posted on those. 

Tonight for dinner I re-created a childhood memory:  jell-o with fruit in it.  In this case I used a can of pears with strawberry jell-o because it was all I had, but I distinctly remember one of our favorites being green jell-o with pineapple.

Yum?

6 comments:

  1. Cute room and skirt!!!! Wish Caroline liked skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it!! and i love the peek into...your master bedroom?...in that picture of elise. i seriously need to learn to sew chevron bubble skirts now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is all SOO cute! you're ironing board looks awesome :) Can't wait for you to get lots of use out of that awesome sewing machine! you're just going to love it! And i totally remember that jello, it was the crushed pineapple sometimes too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pears and lime jello are delightful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!!!! So fun! I don't love fruit and jello though... Ick

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is SO great to have a separate sewing room. You will love it--and not having to clean up after yourself each time you sew. Elise is TOO cute.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...