Friday, August 26, 2011

TGIF

Seriously.  So glad this week is over. 

Yesterday was really hard.  It started with a bone marrow biopsy.  I was really scared of this one, and they don't put you under at all, it's all done under local anesthesia.  They have you lay on your stomach and go into your pelvic bone from the back.  Lauren went with me, and being the nurse that she is, she asked if we could have a little extra help in the pain department.  It was no problem and they gave me an IV of dilaudid.  It worked great for the procedure.  Although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy (not that I have one).  It was really not fun and still pretty painful. 

Right after the biopsy I had to head downstairs to prep for the PET/CT scan.  I started getting a really bad reaction to the dilaudid - super nauseous and sick.  The nurses started me on an IV with some radioactive glucose that makes the cancer show up on the PET scans.  It has to circulate in your system for 2 hours before the scan, so they set me up in this really comfy warm chair and I slept for a few hours.  The actual PET scan only took about 15 minutes.  I felt pretty sick the rest of the afternoon, but felt a lot better by the evening. 

Today we had a consultation with a chemo nurse.  She was really nice and super encouraging.  She reassured us that pushing chemo back a week to 10 days for our fertility business will have no effect on the treatment for my lymphoma.  She was very positive that this is just a minor bump in the road of life, and that in a few months this will all be behind us.  She used the word "cured" a lot.  She also gave us a quick tour of the chemotherapy area.  So weird to see.  I will probably be the youngest person by far back there.  

After the consult, we headed downstairs to get the mediport put in my chest.  It took a couple hours, but it was painless and fast.  They put me out, so I don't remember anything.  I now have a port right below my collarbone where they will administer the chemotherapy.  It's feeling a little more real now.  

Grandpa and Grandma Goote took Elise today so my Mom and Nick could be with me.  They took her to lunch at Great Grandma's, and then out to the beach in Grand Haven.  She had the BEST day, and even came back with a new toy.  Thanks so much Jim and Judy!  

So, hell week is over.  Although next week I start on the fertility hormones so watch out, people.  It's about to get even more interesting.

9 comments:

  1. Hey, just so you know, your BG family is thinking of you. JT was asking about you last night at work. Sending you love from us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the posts girl. I've been thinking about you so much this week and wondering how everything was going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the meeting with the chemo nurse was an encouraging way to end your crazy week. It sounds like she said so many things that made you feel better about everything, so good!!!! Glad you have a couple days off now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Rach. Wish with all my heart you weren't going through this. But so happy the nurse was helpful, and reassuring. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made it through the crazy week you were dreading! We are so proud of you for all you have had to do so far. And we all agree with the chemo nurse...not too long and this will all be behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that chemo nurse already. Love you, Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rachel,
    I'm Diane, Stacy's mother-in-law. Randy and I just wanted you to know that we are praying for you and your sweet family. Stacy is great at keeping us informed and now we are also reading your blog. We know how scary cancer can be and we have lived through it with Randy's dad. Some of the things you described are things we know about first hand. It sounds like you are in great hands and we are praying for wisdom for all the doctors who are attending you. You have a wonderful, strong family that we love dearly. Be comforted in knowing that you have so many people sharing this burden with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love and hugs to you, Rachel. Now you're on the way to being cured!

    ReplyDelete
  9. god love you. i'm sorry to hear about this but i have 100% faith that you'll fly through this with unimaginable colors. i'll be thinking about you as you travel on this crazy journey! much love from oklahoma!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...